The bigBANG! 2016: Equity in Action conference is nearly here, and there’s still time to register.
The event will take place Oct. 26-28 at Paul Quinn College in South Dallas, with most of the events taking place on Oct. 27.
The conference is a joint production of Social Venture Partners and the United Way of Metropolitan Dallas. This year’s topic for the conference is Equity, and we’re hearing the event is nearly sold out.
Keynote speaker for the “Legacy of Philanthropy” luncheon will be retired Dallas Police Chief David Brown.
BIGBANG! WILL FOCUS ON HOUSING, CRIMINAL JUSTICE, MENTAL HEALTH POLICY
BigBang! touts itself as the city’s longest-running event for social innovation. The focus on Equity was a topic chosen well before the tragic events of earlier this summer when a gunman killed five police officers and injured nine others after what had been a peaceful protest in downtown Dallas.
Core topics to be discussed are housing, criminal justice, and mental health policy, and issues covered will include racism, discrimination, and bias based on gender, sexuality, and class.
Speakers for the morning and afternoon breakout sessions will be:
- Dr. Heather Hackman, founder and president of Hackman Consulting Group, “Leaning into Your Edge: “The More Challenging Aspects of Social Justice Work”
- Jonathan Rapping, founder and president of Gideon’s Promise and MacArthur “Genius” Award recipient: “Writing a More Human Criminal Justice Narrative”
- Demetria McCain, president of Inclusive Communities Projects: “Addressing Barriers to Fair Housing for Low income Families”
- Dr. Lydia Bean, executive director of Faith in Texas: “How to Make Smart Investments in Organizing”
- B.J. Wagner, director of Smart Justice at Meadows Mental Health Policy Institute: “Smart Justice and Dallas County: An overview of a systems analysis”
bigBang! 2016 VIP Reception at Polsinelli
Registration & Marketplace Open
8 a.m. Paul Quinn College
Equity in Action: Dr. Heather Hackman
9 a.m. Paul Quinn College
Presentations: Jonathan Rapping & Dr. Lydia Bean
9:30 a.m. Paul Quinn College
Presentations: Demetria McCain & B.J. Wagner
10:45 a.m. Paul Quinn College
Breakout Sessions 1: 5 Sessions to Choose From
11:30 a.m. Paul Quinn College
Legacy of Philanthropy Luncheon, catered by Cafe Momentum
12:30 p.m. Paul Quinn College
Breakout Sessions 2: 5 Sessions to Choose From
1:45 p.m. Paul Quinn College
The Dallas Festival of Ideas Presentation
3 p.m. Paul Quinn College
Closing Reception & Marketplace
4:30 p.m. Paul Quinn College
Equity Training Session with Dr. Heather Hackman at The United Way of Metropolitan Dallas
To see more about the conference, and to register, go here.
Delivering what’s new and next in Dallas-Fort Worth innovation, every day. Get the Dallas Innovates e-newsletter.